School-Based Health Centers
Education Plus Health is a nonprofit organization committed to improving access to high quality healthcare and driving better educational outcomes for underserved communities. Our unique school-based health centers provide school nursing and primary care, delivered by certified nurse practitioners in the school environment, to remove barriers to health care that limit academic achievement.
Our in-school health services include:
- universal health screenings
- sick and injury care
- flu shots
- primary care for children and teens
- reproductive health care for teens
- school-wide population health efforts
Our in-school nurse practitioners are able to:
- provide acute care, preventive care, and chronic disease management
- render diagnoses
- make appropriate referrals
- develop and implement treatment plans in collaboration with primary care physicians
- provide mental health counseling in select schools
- fulfill all of the school health reporting requirements as appropriate
Benefits of School-Based Health Centers
- Students who use school-based health centers have better grade point averages, get more physical activity, and eat more healthy foods than their counterparts.
- School-based health centers reduce absenteeism, emergency room utilization, hospitalization, and Medicaid costs overall—particularly for children with chronic health conditions like asthma.
- Long-term Education Plus Health partner schools have found a 64% decrease in absenteeism among asthmatic students.
- Asthma management in school-based health centers decreases hospitalization rates by up to 75-85% and improves the use of peak flow meters and inhalers.
- School-based health centers reduce Medicaid expenditures related to inpatient, drug, and emergency department use.
- Mental health counseling has been repeatedly identified as the leading reason for student visits.
- One study found that “inner-city students were 21 times more likely to make mental-health related visits to school-based health centers than to community health centers.”
Education Plus Health is a member and the emerging affiliate for Pennsylvania of the national School-Based Health Alliance. The School-Based Health Alliance has been the national voice for school based health care since 1995. Education Plus Health is working with the support of the Alliance to advance policies and frameworks in Pennsylvania that enable the growth of school based health centers across the state.
To bring a School Based Health Center to your school, contact Julie Cousler, Executive Director at Julie@educationplushealth.com.
To bring a center to your school, email Julie Cousler Emig.